Kaken-hi Application for FY Heisei 30
Why does the Universe accelerate? -Exhaustive study and challenge for the future-
Since gravity only pulls, the expansion of the universe is to be held back and slow down. However, it has become obvious from observations that the present universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, and there was also a time of accelerated expansion in the early universe called inflation. The physical mechanism of what exactly “pushes” and accelerates the expansion of the universe against gravity is not known. In this Scientific Research on Innovative Areas, we aim to understand the cause of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, and to understand the interaction of the gravitational force from the dark matter which causes the formation of the structure of the universe such as the galaxy and the galaxy group against the acceleration of expansion. For these purposes, the three periods of the cosmic expansions: acceleration by inflation (A01), deceleration by dark matter (A02), and acceleration by dark energy (A03) are to be studied using four experimental methods; cosmic background radiation (B01), galaxy imaging (B02), galaxy spectroscopy (B03) and direct measurement of cosmic expansion (B04). The data from the four methods are analyzed with the ultimate physical analyses (D01) and understood with the ultimate theories (C01).
Thus we will invite applications for two-year research on the following research categories. One-year research is not subject for consideration. Also, it is not allowed to have a co-investigator.
Approximately four applications with up to 4 million yen per year, six applications with up to 2 million yen per year, and seventeen applications with up to 1 million yen per year will be awarded.
Regarding the evolution and structure of the universe, research category F01 is for theoretical and computational research, F02, experimental and observational research, and F03, a study that extends over theory, experiment and observation. Regardless of the research categories, proposals specialized for each Planned Research (A01-03, B01-04, C01, D01), proposals spanning several Planned Researches, theoretical, experimental, observational ideas at early stage, cross-over research, theme complementary to Planned Researches are welcome.
- F01: Theoretical and computational research regarding the evolution and structure of the universe
- Upper Limit of Anual Budget : 4 Million yen
- Number of research projects scheduled to be selected: 4
- F02: Experimental and observational research regarding the evolution and structure of the universe
- Upper Limit of Anual Budget : 2 Million yen
- Number of research projects scheduled to be selected: 6
- F03: A study that extends over theory, experiment and observation regarding the evolution and structure of the universe
- Upper Limit of Anual Budget : 1 Million yen
- Number of research projects scheduled to be selected: 17